Friday, November 26, 2010

Suzanne Bates on Award Acceptance Speeches

Check out the following blog post, "You Like Me, Right Now, You Like Me," by Suzanne Bates, communications expert and author of Speak Like a CEO.

She outlines a winning formula for giving an acceptance speech when receiving an award.  As a former TV anchor, she often had to emcee awards banquets and she shares some horror stories about speakers who went over their time limit:

"More often than I care to remember I had to move toward the podium, and give a loquacious recipient a less than subtle nod. My next intervention would be the hairy eyeball. When all else failed, more desperate measures were required. Once I actually walked up to a woman who had gone 20 minutes on a five minute speech and touched her on the elbow. She kept going. I interrupted and apologized that it was a great story but we were over time. She ignored me and went five more minutes. I kid you not. You cannot make this stuff up."

Read the rest of her post at http://www.thepowerspeakerblog.com/?p=232

And for more on this topic, check out "Patricia Fripp on Award Acceptance Speeches"
http://gildabonanno.blogspot.com/2010/02/patricia-fripp-on-award-acceptance.html


Gilda Bonanno's blog www.gildabonanno.blogspot.com

No comments: